Beautiful Reflections And A Mallard

Canon EOS REBEL T2i
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/250th sec, f/9, ISO 400, 400mm

This image represents the actual water conditions on that day. This was photographed at a lake at Papa John’s Louisville headquarters. It is truly a lovely setting.

Your thoughts are most welcome!

Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very beautiful reflections indeed, Jim. I like the pose of the mallard as well. For my taste, I think you could take about half of the space above the mallard out and crop up from the bottom to just below the first white reflection. The brighter areas top and bottom seem to be a detriment to an otherwise fine image. Cropping from the bottom would also eliminate the white triangle in the lower right where you straightened the image.

Excellent colors add detail in the mallard. I do agree with Dennis with respect to cropping it to draw more attention to the mallard itself.

Hi Jim, nice reflections and a fine image as is. I think the cropping suggestions mentioned above are worth exploring though. What are the black lines in the reflection? A fence? Just wondering on that. Nice sharpness on the duck and an interesting image.

1 Like

This is really cool! Those colours are awesome! I agree with the cropping Dennis suggested, though :slight_smile:

Straight lines are rare in nature, for me they seem out of place in nature images and often end up competing with image borders.

Compelling reflections on that lightly undulating surface.

Gotta ask, what are the chances that’s not a mallard? I’m not seeing the mallard speculum in the wing, and the black bill is off for the mallards I’ve seen.

That’s an interesting perspective on nature photographs Steve. I guess I never thought of it that way before.