Taking a Drink

Last March, I ran into a trio of wood ducks that would come in fairly close and this guy came in and took a drink. This is one bird that has nearly a complete spectrum of the colors of visible light in its bill and plumage.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) D500, 600mm f4 (1/1600 sec at f6.3, Iso 400, -2Ev Fill Flash) I ran levels, Shadows & Highlights, and rubber stamp tool for some dust bunnies. I cropped about 25% from the frame to get the duck position for the best comp.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A real beauty, Jim. Wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

Jim, reminds me of a funny story about these guys. A number of years ago some friends and I were paddling on a day trip in Honey Island Swamp. And as were were wandering around I spotted one of these beauties on a side slough. So I carefully paddled up closer. Curiously the bird didn’t budge. But knowing certainly I’d get a killer shot, once I got close enough I discovered the bird was tethered to an anchor line! While the decoy may not have fooled birds, it certainly fooled me! And my buddies enjoyed my embarrassment too.

Anyhow pardon the digression. You have an absolutely stunning image here. You framed the crop perfectly, the details and exposure are super, and I only wish I could get one like this, In fact I’s be proud to get even a decoy this beautifully:crazy_face:

1 Like

Wonderful reflection and pose of the duck. Love it! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Very nice capture of this male and of course the reflection adds a lot to the image. A lovely subject that’s always nice to get in the viewfinder.

1 Like

A lovely Wood duck image, Jim. The still water and reflection are awesome. Nice job on the exposure.

1 Like

Nice colours and refection!

1 Like

Nice image. The angle of light was perfect to showcase the colors on the woody and you caught a solid reflection.

1 Like