Beauty Out of Misery and Reeds

Description: Thought I would post a couple of ICMs for feedback as @Ola_Jovall did recently. First image was taken in a field of ragweed and sparse Queen Anns Lace. I could not get any acceptable images and at the end decided to make an ICM of what would normally cause me misery in the fall.

Second image is an ICM of a partial reflection of cattail reeds.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: #1 92mm f/22 1/6sec iso 100

#2 200mm f/18 1/5sec
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Very nice, Mario. The both have a lovely painterly feel and energy to them.

I love both of them! This gives me some motivation to process and post some of my ICM photos. I’ve been doing way more shooting than processing lately! They each have their own beauty and I really can’t see anything to improve! Nice colors!

I too like the both of them and thing they work as presented. Of the two images, I prefer the second one, it just feels much more dynamic, and has a lot vitality to it.

I think the second image has good impact as presented, there is nice energy in it. I also think the second image could be interpreted several different ways. I could also see a warmer version of it, which could create a different, but I think still pleasing mood. I could also see some additional crops here too for different looks. I think a pano crop of the top half of the image would work. And I think a square crop based on the center of the original image is also pleasing. I think you have the luxury of taking this a number of different ways, all good.

They are both very good, Mario. The colors are great and the blur you have chosen is spot on. In the first one I especially like the inclusion of the white flowers. In the second one I think your composition of the uppermost part is great having the dark BG and the wave contour of the reeds.

I much prefer the 2nd one. The colors are so pleasing together as they’re being displayed. The first image feels overexposed. Yellow is a very “loud” color and I like to use it sparingly for emphasis. Just my opinion. But the 2nd is wonderful. I like that yellow/orange layer that crosses the entire canvas.

I really like the green hue in the second image. It seems cool and refreshing and peaceful. Beautiful.

Mario,
While both images are lovely my clear favorite is the second one of the cattail reeds as I find the motion more dynamic. I also think the varying shades of green are quite beautiful. Very nicely done.

Mario, I love the second one. The verticality of the reeds lends itself well to the ICM technique. I really love the feathering of the tops of the reeds into the darker background, and the brownish streak at the bottom breaks up all the greens nicely.

I’m going with the second image. The direction of movement coincides with the natural pattern of the cattails. The upper image lacks a unifying theme for my eye - which is watering from ragweed pollen.

Like the second image best. Feels intentional and less random than many ICM images.