Bee Crop

I took my new camera to the desert museum today to learn how to use it. Since bees are a favorite I focused on those.

Specific Feedback Requested

I posted the after and before crop. II want to get better about cropping so I posted the before crop as well. Any suggestions welcome

Technical Details

R7 100-400 ii w/1.4 extender. HH Some background noise reduction was done.

1 Like

Great place to practice, Dean. Nice detail you have gotten in the bee. I must admit, I am a bit confused about the bee’s eyes? I can’t figure out where he is looking? Maybe it just me. As for the crop, I definitely like the first image as it gives me enough environmental information with too much which just leads to distractions.

Dean, first of all, congratulations on your new R7. I had preordered but got tired of waiting last summer, so cancelled the order and got the R5. A bit pricier, but I sure have enjoyed it thus far even if I haven’t had the opportunity to use it as much as I would like. I plan to go out with it Friday with a friend up in Virginia.

Very nice details in the bee. I think the square crop works well. I could even see doing an 4X5 crop mostly from the right. I like how the flowers are down in the bottom left of the full frame, like the bee has an eye on them for his next move. Great shot. I hope you really enjoy your R7.

Thank you @linda_mellor and @Shirley_Freeman about the cropping. I am not a big fan of square crops but sometimes with these subjects more so they seem to work well. I am going to see how a 4x5 looks because that was my first thought. Today I will be at the Tucson Botanical Gardens trying flowers and butterflies.

2 Likes

Look to me like you have it figured out! Great detail!! Congratulations – looking forward to more!!