More Cropping

I posted before and after on this to see if I have the cropping down pretty well. The bee came out nice but I was amazing how much pollen these bees carry. I was wondering how I am doing with cropping.

90D 180 macro no flash. 1/640 sec f/14 iso 800

1 Like

Dean, this is a nice shot of the bee. Yes, they can really load down with the pollen. I think the vertical crop works (it might be a tad close on the left side, and might could crop in a bit on the right, but not much. I also see a horizonal shot here as well, just cropping to off center the bee and flower some and a bit off the bottom. I think if you were to put a little more contrast into just the bee, that would make him stand out a bit more. A very nice shot with great details.

1 Like

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman That is what I am wanting to hear on feedback.

2 Likes

Dean, the bee and the flower look great. Your vertical crop works well at showing off all of the pollen. Given the full frame, my inclination would be to go for a square crop (or maybe 4x5), showing all of the flower, with the extra space to the right, although a square crop with the bee and flowered centered would give them great stability.

2 Likes

I like the crop a lot better Dean; eliminates unnecessary background. Great detail in the bee; I won’t see any in CT for a few more weeks until my rhododendrons bloom, then I’ll have plenty. Yes, mine are usually covered head to toe with pollen too.

1 Like

Hello Dean!
Beatifull picture. It’s amazing how much polen they can carry! I like how focused on the task she looks.
I would crop a bit more on the bottom, less on the sides. Keeping the flowe in the background, I like the composition of the two flowers repeating shapes.
Thanks for sharing

Thank Juan, Jim, and Mark. I will try a square crop on this although I am not a big fan of that size. However, maybe I should thought to that because with this kind of subject it is really the way to go. Usually I stay ax 4x5 for most portrait cropping, maybe for printing. I do pick the option in Photoshop not to delete the crop when I do. Lightroom keeps it anyway so I try to just crop there.