Bee On Target + Repost

The blooming pear trees are starting to bloom here in NC, and today it was sunny and warm enough for the bees and me to brave it out to enjoy the blooms. Appreciate all comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any to improve.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any to improve.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm L macro lens, handheld (no image stabilization). Settings manual except ISO auto, f5.6, 1/3200, ISO 800. Edited in LR, Topaz and NIK.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Shirley,
It’s great that you are already getting insect macro shots…Jealous! Nice sharpness on the bee - did you use manual or auto focus? Very nice complimentary background and exposure too. A striking, tough to get capture very well done. The bee and focused flower in the center of the image really does not bother me here but you could try a slight crop from the left to see how you like it.

1 Like

Allen, I’ve been busy this morning, but I want to thank you for your advice. I kept looking at it yesterday and it felt more centered, but I talked myself into it being okay, and so I posted it. I used auto focus (the spot focus, in fact), and even that was difficult. Needless to say, I had a lot of throwaways. Those bees are pretty fast. I am reposting, and hopefully this is more like it.

1 Like

Yes, I do believe I like the repost better - still plenty of that lovely background with room for the bee to “move” but subject off center. I really like this shot. Tough to capture and very well done IMO.

1 Like

Great photo Shirley. The bee is very sharp and so is the flower she is flying to. Then the flower becomes less focus. The background color really brings out the bee. I also take a million shots because these ladies are fast flyers.

1 Like

Shirley: Terrific flight shot with the perfect combination of DOF/SS. The original is good but the repost is a notable improvement IMO. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley, I agree with the others about the sharpness of the bee and the DOF. However, I do like the original post, for me it gives the bee a little more space. Such a wonderful photo, the type I am aspiring to accomplish.

1 Like