Bee on Yellow Flower

I was at the wildlife refuge last evening looking to capture egrets and herons when I walked past this bee feeding on a yellow flower. I thought I would take another try at a macro/close up shot.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 100-400 mm @ 220 mm; ISO 720; f / 6; 1?1600 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nicholas, I really like this. The position of the flower, the out of focus flower in the background, all gives a nice setting for this little bee. On my monitor, it seems just a bit dark. It might help if you just bring up the brightness just a touch. Everything looks good otherwise. Nice and sharp of the bee. It pays to look around for other things that what we went out hoping to shoot! Great job! :+1::+1:

Hi Nicholas,
nice capture with good DOF control. I like how the bee is facing us. I agree with brightening the image a tad and I might add a little on the right.

Thanks Shirley and Allen. A little too dark is a common critique I get.

Nicholas, I too really like the sharpness and positioning of the fly (it’s actually a silphid/hover fly, note the single wings and striping on it’s back)sil and the flower. I agree that it looks a bit dark (I often get critiqued for being a bit too light…). That can easily be a monitor calibration issue. I assume that your exporting your posts as sRGB. Nice job of “looking around”.

Thanks for the ID and kind comments Mark. I have to work on restraining my dark side.

Nick: I kind of like the dark bias and what it does for the BG. I also like your DOF/POF management. Very nicely done.>=))>

Thanks Bill for the kind comments.