Bejeweled Web

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken the morning of the last day of 2023. It was completely flat, grey, foggy, and cold. Not much to photograph, but this web did catch my eye.

Specific Feedback

Anything.

Technical Details

1/160 sec @ f9, ISO 800

4 Likes

Very nice! And it’s all in focus! (I say that because I don’t think I’ve ever managed to get a spider web all in focus - ha). I was looking for you in the dew drop reflections, but I didn’t see you. :wink:

Thanks, Bonnie. I also thought I’d see a reflection of myself. Hope you had a good holiday season.

@Chris_Baird I would say this is a pretty spectacular ending to 2023. Better than fireworks. What a unique way to use the light to make the dew drops the jewels they are. Mother nature and a little spider did a wonderful job makeing the image for you to catch.

I have tried for years to catch a spider web adorned with dew drops and had no success; so congratulations Chris! They look like little pearls on a strand. I also like the fact that most of them appear to be sharp and in focus. Great job on this.

Chris, getting a frame full of sharp web strands and water drops is a huge challenge, congrats on that. The swoop of strands and beads has a nice visual dynamic as well.

As it should catch your eye. Very well done. Good use of the light to emphasize the web and the dew. I like how you have framed it as well -off center and i like the ‘swoop’ to the web to the lower right.

This is a beautiful ,simple, well composed photograph !!! I love the tone and how delicate everything looks. Really nice !!!

I’ll just add my kudos to the already great comments here, Chris! I too have been challenged to get webs all sharp and when I tried focus stacking once, the barest breeze blew that attempt! Love the composition - the cluster in the UL gives us that stepping stone into the frame and we swoop down on the other strands to lower area - very well framed.

@Bonnie_Lampley @Ed_Lowe @Mark_Seaver @Barbara_Djordjevic @brenda_tharp @Gill_Vanderlip @Cameron_Wilcox Thank you all for your very thoughtful comments.

2 Likes