Below as Above

I came across this scene during my canyon explorations. I’m looking at ways to improve this. It’s purposely ‘messy’ but some mess looks better than others. I removed some bits of it but kept enough to keep looking.

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked

1 Like

Wonderful shapes! You left just the right amount of tactility, for me. I love the colors and the three leaves. I think I’d be tempted to darken the rock face in the UL but I’m sure you’ve adjusted it with more thought than I would have put into it.

Hi Igor,
that’s a beautiful little scene. I really like the textures and shapes here.

I agree with @Diane_Miller about darkening the rock in the ULC a tiny bit.

If I wanted to change something additional in the picture, then I would take care of the small stick at the right edge. I would either try to darken it or remove it. It’s a small detail, but it distracts my eye a bit.

Igor,

Lovely little scenic; natural and comes across as “found” - ie. just as you found it, no alterations… just it’s natural state. And with that the two things I appreciate here is the refrain from letting the colors get out of hand; I can just vision in my head how easily this could be enhanced… bumping the sat in the leaf, allowing the muddy bed to go purple, etc. The restraint is appreciated in this scene. And the other appreciation of the natural state is what you call “messy.” I would term it as “natural litter.” You may have removed some… but am glad you kept it as close to “found” as I think you did.

So, unfortunately I don’t think I have any suggestions for improvement. Even considering the heavier rock ledge up top, I think this has great balance and arrangement of elements - big and tiny…

Beautifully seen, framed and presented.
Lon

What can i say more after all these comments.It’s just an amazing image of color and composition.There fore I should leave everything as it is.

Ben

Wow. I love this image,
The first time I saw it, I though that the dark rock on the ULC would ruin the photo, but soon realize it ad so much to the picture.
I love the intimacy and that special glow in the center.

The abstract qualities of your image are amazing Igor. At first I though a little more contrast would improve your image but changed my mind. Your image is ethereal and almost supernatural,

Thank you Eva. I am thinking of changing the title to Stardust because there is a sense of awe similar to what you feel when looking at the night sky. To me , at least.

1 Like

Way late on this one Igor but I have to say that your composition is the first thing that comes to mind. Including that upper rock shelf was genius. Most would not have included that but it’s what makes this image so intriguing to me. The natural litter debris is a very natural part of the scene and although you removed some, I’m glad that you left most of it in. It’s what these washes are all about. I love the colors, the main leaf and the dry sand in the center of the mud flow. I like the idea of your new title as well. It’s fitting.

@David_Haynes, @Eva_McDermott, @Lon_Overacker, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Jens_Ober, @Diane_Miller, @joaoquintela

Thank you for your comments on this one. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It’s not an obvious YES and it’s not an obvious NO. Will have to sit on this one and see if things change. Perhaps plaster a print on the wall.

I agree. That one has got to go.

Thank you for cluing me into this area. It took me a while to recognize its potential. There were so many people that I doubted I would find anything. I saw several good compositions that were marred with bootprints in the mud.