Beyond the Veil

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was an overcast morning up in RMNP and I am always drawn to these Ponderosa pines so I thought I’d play around with some intentional camera movement since using a slow shutter speed was possible with the light. I also wanted to try to keep some detail, but still attain a more ethereal feel.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Shot at 46mm, ISO 64, 1/8th sec, f18

4 Likes

I like the way you framed this very much. There’s a bit more in focus in the center than is usual for these, I think, but it adds to the realism. Nicely done with circumstances that didn’t deliver what you wanted.

1 Like

Thanks Kris, it was a delicate balance between getting too much movement and not enough to show ICM. It’s something I like to try every once in a while to add a little softness to the scene.

I’m not generally a big fan of intention al camera movement but this is the right way to do it. You’re right, it’s a delicate balance. I agree about the composition.

Thank you Don, I try to use it sparingly, hoping to add to a scene, not totally change it. Thanks again for the feedback.

1 Like

Hi Claudia, welcome to NPN! It’s great having you here and thanks for posting your image.

I live a few hours away from RMNP and try to visit it a few times a year. Before looking at your description, there was a certain familiarity about the scene. I love the ponderosa pines in the national park and think it’s a wonderful subject to try ICM. I like the way your framed the image and the way the pines vanish into the distance. You have retained enough detail while also creating that ethereal mood to the image.

This is all a matter of preference but the foreground rock catches my eye and therefore would have preferred more movement there. Not a deal breaker at all. I still think your image is engaging. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Thank you.

Really beautiful image, Claudia! I love the way it’s framed and then there is kind of a trail inviting us to come into the woods for a walk through the trees. Welcome to NPN!

Hi Alfredo, thank you for your warm welcome and kind and constructive comments. Hope you enjoy the next visit to RMNP.

Thank you so much Vanessa.

1 Like