Reforestation

This is the only area I know of near where I live that has rows of planted pine trees from all the logging they do. I finally decided to come over here and try some ICM with them, because it would make for nice straight trees and clean understory.

Specific Feedback Requested

I hope I did it justice. It was mid day and you can see a bright strip of grasses in the foreground, tried my best to tame it down. Anything else.

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 147mm, f18, 1/15. Downward motion

2 Likes

Welcome to the new Abstract Nature category, Vanessa. Wow, you really nailed this one. It is excellent! And for mid-day too. Wow. I wouldn’t change a thing here. I hope to find a grove like this soon for my experiments. Congratulations on a really successful ICM.

1 Like

Thank you, so much @David_Bostock ! I was so excited to see this new category! It’s becoming my favorite form of photography! Glad you think it works and it’s not too bright!

This is lovely, Vanessa. IMHO, the lighting works well. I also like the amount of movement you’ve created. Not so much you lose context but enough to give the image energy and excitement. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, @linda_mellor ! I’m glad you like it!

1 Like

Vanessa,

Wonderful ICM! This came out beautifully. I think you may have found a sweet spot with the motion on this one. Clearly you’ve gone beyond the “kicked tripod” blurry motion, to one where the motion now defines or enhances the scene. It’s also clear these are trees, but now so much more artful.

Natural reaction here would be to discount the two forward trees on the left. And honestly, the trees in the bg, the “forest” are a wonderful study without them, but I like the presencen of the two trees - even their far left positioning. The saving grace there is that there is sufficient space to the left of these two trunks.

Colors, tone, contrast, all well done.

One of the great advantages of ICM - Toss out all the rules? Harsh light? mid-day? No time to put away the cameras! Have some fun.

I have to say you have really elevated your ICM work! Congrats.

Lon

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words and detailed feedback and critique. I really appreciate it. It helps to know what I do wrong but it also helps to know what I do right as well, not just “it’s great” but why is it great. Thanks again for the encouragement @Lon_Overacker !

Vanessa, thank you for sharing your wonderful ICM image in the new Abstract category. Nicely done! As others have noted, the scene has a nice sense of motion while still keeping the woodlands identifiable.

I was going to suggest cropping out the foreground trees but after further consideration, they help add depth to the final image. Only thing I would suggest is to clone out some of the “blotchiness” in the darker foreground tree.

1 Like

Hello, Alfredo! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I’m glad you like it and think the foreground trees work. I did take quite a long time with my composition and angles for this one. Snapping regular shots as always do, but also moving around a lot and trying to get in the frame what I wanted and didn’t want. By the blotchiness do you mean the darker texture kind of showing through in the tree? Do you think it should just get smoothed out? Thanks again!

Hi Vanessa, yes that’s correct. It’s a minor thing but my eye caught it.