Reforestation 2 & repost

Crop…

This is a area that has been logged but now they have planted pines. I took this last summer, I liked how the flowers were growing throughout the little forest. The strips of shadows and light were interesting to me. Experimenting as always with ICM.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback at all.

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 300mm, f22, 1/15, fast up and down movement. Many takes. And this was one of a few that I liked. I’ve posted another one a while ago.

Vanessa, the subtlety of your ICM movements make this image well defined, but dreamy at the same time. This would make an excellent composition without the ICM. With it, the image is elevated to yet another level.

The only suggestion I might have would be to crop the left most tree in the upper left corner out and bring the edge to the second left most tree to about the same position as the frame on the tree in the upper right. A subtle crop but it seems to make an incredibly strong image just a touch stronger…in my opinion of course.

All in all, a stunning image.

1 Like

It is good to see the rebirth of a logged off area, Vanessa. This is truly a beautiful photo. I love how you have handle the ICM with just a gentle movement. For me, it reflect the vulnerability of our forest. Great shot.

1 Like

Vanessa, what a nice image. You did a fine job with the ICM. I like that you didn’t include the top portion with limbs, needles, etc. Nice.

1 Like

The only suggestion I might have would be to crop the left most tree in the upper left corner out and bring the edge to the second left most tree to about the same position…

Thanks, @David_Bostock for your feedback! I did the crop I think you meant, does it seem to help?

Thank you, so much, @linda_mellor & @Shirley_Freeman . I’m glad you like it and think it works. I really like this little stand of trees.

2 Likes

Vanessa, that’s what I was thinking. I love it!

1 Like

Great @David_Bostock ! Yes, I think it gives the sense of a denser bigger forest, which I love! Thanks for your help as always!

1 Like

Vanessa,

This is wonderful! I think this might be one of my favorites of yours.

I agree with David, the minimal ICM application here has rendered this quite painterly and lovely. The arrangement of the trunks is just about perfect - You did well keeping most every trunk separated. The greens combined with the pale yellows at the base work well together as as does the sprinking of the little flowers.

My only suggestion beyond the left crop suggested, would actually be a little crop from the top. The little patches of darker green vegetation up top, at least the one in the top left, is mildly distracting. But not even close to a deal breaker.

Kudos on this Vanessa!

Lon

1 Like

Vanessa, this is a fine, painterly view. The bright strip of grass at the bottom makes a strong lead into the rest of the view. I like the original as there’s a nice “expanding triangle” feeling in the trees, that the crop loses. The view does a good job of saying, “It’s a lovely sunny day for a stroll through the woods”. If the darker bits along the top bother you, one fix would be to dodge them through a darks mask. That lightens the darkest parts without brightening the lighter parts.

1 Like

Thank you @Lon_Overacker and @Mark_Seaver for stopping by and your feedback! I’m glad you like it. I really worked hard on the composition of it to make sure I didn’t have any cut off half trees, ect… I see what you mean @Lon_Overacker about the darker foliage on top. I also have to say I’m pleased that you pretty much like the original comp as is @Mark_Seaver . … I’m not really sure which way to go with it. I just tried the top crop but it really makes the trees look short. Maybe I can try the dodging when I have the tools. Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Hi Vanessa, I think you did a good job with the overall balance of the image. There is good separation of the trees. The slight gentle motion creates some added interest and helps elevate the mood of the forest.

As far as some recommendations, I do like how the trunks at the bottom are not cut off. I do feel that the strip of grass is a bit bright and holds my attention. If you would like for the eye to stay in the center of the image, then perhaps dodging the grass a bit and brightening the center may help. Just a suggestion. The image looks good as is already!

1 Like

Thank you @Alfredo_Mora for your feedback. I totally agree that the grasses on the bottom are a bit too bright. I don’t have any kind of processing tool that lets me do a selective adjustment. I’m hoping to be able to get a computer that I can have LR and PS. That’s my goal anyway! Or I might try looking into LR for iPad again. I had it in the past but didn’t like it and didn’t think it was worth the money…it might be that my equipment is too old, not sure. Anyway I’m glad you like the overall composition, I was working really hard on it in the field!