Birdrock Long Exposure

One of my favorite images of the year. I was in a creative slump so I created a personal project using the square crop, I’ve never really used this aspect ratio before. Small changes like this really make you think differently when in the field. This is a 204 second exposure to smooth out the movement of the ocean waves.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful, Andrew. I like the nice leading line created by the rocks and the long exposure makes it look like they’re emerging from fog rather than water, which I happen to like.

This is a stunning, minimalist, landscape image. Black and white was the right choice. I love all of the negative space surrounding the rocks. Nice detail on those rocks as well, and there is nothing like the effect of long exposures on ocean surf. Very well done!

@Dennis_Plank @Marc_McCann Thanks so much for looking and commenting, I greatly appreciate it. I’ve had this image in my mind for a long time but I needed the tide and weather to cooperate, it finally did a few weeks ago. Thanks again!

Andrew, this is very dreamy/mystical. It does look like mountain tops emerging from the clouds, so finding out it’s water was fun. The bands of lighter and darker add well to the sense of mystery. I think this would look good in other frame shapes as well.

1 Like

A nice, minimalist b&w landscape, Andrew! Like, Mark, I initially thought it was mountain tops in the clouds but then realized the scale was wrong and it was rocks rather than mountains. It feels a little visually heavy on the right side (I think I would have composed the rocks more to the left for balance) but a very nice image over all.

1 Like

Andrew,

Outstanding image. The simplicity carries, but there is so much more to this. I’m particularly drawn to the absence of a distinct horizon line - or at least it keeps me engaged looking for one… :wink:

Congrats for a wonderful image. We hope to see more in the coming year.

Lon

1 Like

@Gary_Minish, Thank you. I agree, I would’ve loved to have composed a little more left but I couldn’t because there was a large groups of rocks on the right.

Thanks so much @Lon_Overacker. Exactly what I was going for, I very minimalistic image but makes the viewer stop and really look at what is going on.