Sea Basin

For the At The Edge challenge I selected my image “Sea Basin”. This image is from a beach in Southern California, where the land meets the sea. This particular beach has lots of these amazing rocks that jut out into into the ocean, a high tide creates these great tide pools in various holes and crevices. I also selected this image because of the basin of water in the foreground that has captured tiny crabs and other sea life until the next tide comes in to free them back to the larger ocean.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I wanted this image to be a little more dark and moody.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single 30 second exposure.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow. This is a really creative image and skillfully processed. Really well done. I like it a lot. I can’t think of anything to suggest. I personally like wider verticals but would hate to lose any to that sky unless you removed most of it.

BTW, most of those critters stay in a really high tide pool which this appears to be.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Igor_Doncov, I appreciate the feedback and kind words. I would also have liked to go wider but I couldn’t without adding additional rocks in the water area, it would’ve completely changed the composition.

The tide pools are so much fun to explore. Be well!.

A very striking waterfront scene, Andrew! I think you accomplished all your goals. The b&w presentation puts the focus on the shapes and textures plus it adds to the dark, almost stormy atmosphere. The little tidal basin is very interesting and catches the eye first but the point of land pulls the eyes away from that and casts them toward the edge of the sea in the distance. The large version is particularly nice as it shows much more detail and has much more presence. Very well done!

1 Like

I love the tones and textures. Definitely eye-catching! Thanks!

1 Like

Andrew, this looks great. the textures and shapes in the foreground grab my attention, then I notice the runoff from the distant point in the middle and finally the soft clouds of the water and sky. It all comes together very well.

1 Like

Andrew: Just a whole lot to like here from the comp to the processing. The largest image is really impressive. Superbly crafted image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Superb image! I love the vertical format and composition is just a delight! Well done!!!

1 Like

@Gary_Minish @Mark_Muller @Mark_Seaver @Bill_Fach @Keith_Flood Thank you all very much for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!!!

Hi Andrew - Stunning image as is. I checked out your website and found other “stunners”. Beautiful BW work.

I became very intrigued by the foreground circular figure. It evoked a strong sense of mystery. It also suggested a galactic shape. I wanted to see what would happen if it were given more weight and more focus so I worked on your image in LR and came up with this interpretation. I wasn’t able to download the image so I had to use a screenshot to process it so the resolution is lacking. I’d love to know your thoughts or anyone else’s of course.

1 Like

Perfect image for the weekly challenge Andrew. Well chosen. Like Igor I generally prefer an image that is not so elongated and I think you could crop a tiny amount off the top where you have a black section of the sky however it works as posted as well. The long exposure sure created a mysterious looking waterfront. It looks just perfect to me. So much to like about this image but that galactic looking crater as @John_Teti_Sr_46 put it is really what grabs the eye and for good reason. Well seen and well processed.

1 Like

Thanks @John_Teti_Sr_46, I really appreciate the kind words!

Thanks @David_Haynes, I usually prefer my vertical images in a 4x5 aspect ratio but this one worked in the 2x3. I appreciate the feedback!