The Battleground

I put this in my top 5 in 2018. It is a recent photo from an area I frequent to watch the surf roll in as the sun sets. This is the incoming tide. The image was taken at 1/6 of a second @ f16 with a 16-85 mm lens a 16mm.

I was very pleased that I got the sea water streaming and softly cutting into the fissures of the old stack and still got a bit of “silky” flow and roll to the water in the foreground. The scattered sea rocks always provide a good show with a rushing tide, capturing it is usually the challenge. Comments or critique/suggestions are welcomed. Merry Christmas to all the NPNers. I enjoy the site and the content.

A lovely scene, Stephen. I like the sunrise reflected on the water and the wave action over the rocks. My only nit is that the bright spray in the lower left pulls my eye away from the rest of the image.

Thanks for your comments, Dennis. The pink water reflections are from the setting sun.

Stephen,

Lovely seascape with just an awesome sky. I have to tell you, I often have my 2 1/2yr old grandson sitting with me in front of the computer. He’s getting pretty good with the mouse, knows how to start up Pandora for me, mute, turn the volume up and down etc. Anyway, I opened your image and he literally pointed to the screen and said "Ooooohhh! It was so cute. But I had the same reaction too. A terrific seascape.

The only small nitpick would be the brighter wave splash in the lower left. Not sure what, if anything could be done. Perhaps clone in from a different frame? Not a huge deal, but does pull the eye towards that corner.

Lon

Thanks for the comments, Lon, and your grandson’s observation. I’ll take that as a strong “like” from him…those 21/2 yr olds can provide the purest feelings.

I actually brightened that left corner. A medium level vignette I used made the area rather muddy and I wasn’t liking it . Dennis mentioned the same so I might revisit prior to a final printing.

A beautiful seascape, Stephen! The sunset sky is a big part of this scene and you exposed it just right. I glad that the exposure didn’t blur the water movement too much because it would have lost the sense of the turbulence which is always present in this type of shoreline.

Thanks for sharing your observations, Gary. I wanted that sky to look right so that it would match the drama of the rushing surf.