Birds of a Feather . . . NOT

I had been following a group of Whimbrels down the shoreline and it wasn’t until I looked at the photo that I realized there had been a Marbled Godwit amongst them. Could be a bit sharper, particularly the godwit, but I was pleased to get the two species in flight.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 500 mm; 1/1600 at f6.3, +1/3 EV; ISO 320

1 Like

The first thing I noticed was the difference in beaks. Yes the Godwit is not as sharp as the leading Whimbrel but certainly acceptable!very pleasing inflight grouping.

1 Like

Very good, Allen. It’s neat to get a mixed group like this and the detail in the birds is certainly acceptable. Pretty hard to get both enough shutter speed for flight shots and lots of depth of field. You might play with taking a touch of canvas off the left and adding the same on the right, but a fine image as posted. Very nice light.

1 Like

Very cool shot. Group photos are always so difficult to pull off! You have nice head angles on each bird and pretty good wing positions. The IQ on the front whimbrel looks pretty good. As you mention the, godwit is a little soft. I like Dennis’s crop suggestion.

1 Like