Bisti

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Bisti / De-Na-Zin NM
Otherworldly place
Revisiting old files

Specific Feedback

What do you see?

Technical Details

Lumix G9

Steve, I am guessing this is an infared shot. But I see a dark night with a full moon casting shadows and turning rocks into other worldly objects. The dark shadow on the tallest rock makes it look like the one on top is floating. Silent ghosts are gathering in the moonlight.

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic
This is just a standard digital shot. The black sky is an old (film) trick from Ansel Adams when you put a red filter on Black and White it turns blue sky into black sky.

I like what you’ve done here. Gives the impression of an alien landscape without an atmosphere, sort of like the moon looks

Outstanding !!! I love the simple composition and the tone.

Lovely structures and composition. The tonality works if you want it to be perceived as a night time shot under moon light (which works rather well). If it was to be perceived as a daytime shot, it would need some white somewhere. The problem with a physical red filter is it doesn’t jut kill blues, it kills pretty much everything bellow yellow wavelength, the Adam’s picture gets away with it only because of the snow in the image, if it wasn’t for that, it would have looked like a night shot too (the colour of the dome helps somewhat as well, it’s just in the band the filter is not completely clobbering).