Bitterroot, Lewisia rediviva

On my way back from a WNPS study weekend, I stopped at Catherine Creek area to see if the Columbia River Gorge endemic Barrett’s Penstemon was in bloom (it was). Since I was in the area, I went to the Catherine Creek trailhead and I noticed that the Bitterroot was very abundant. It was the best year in the 18 years I have been going there.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100mm macro, ring flash, 1/250 sec., f/29, ISO 200. Minor PS contrast adjustments and cropped.

1 Like

Don, I’m so glad that the Bitterroot was plentiful for you. I am not personally familiar with it but appreciate you sharing the image. It appears that the petals are mostly white, so I’m wondering how this might even look in B&W? Just a thought. I might make the stamens stand out more, or it might not. I like the composition, and you captured nice details in the flower throughout. Nice shot.

Oh I really like this. At first because of how it looks and the similarity in the names, I thought this was bloodroot. Great tight crop to let us see all the detail you have. The light looks good although it must have been bright. The varying colors in the petals is nice to see. Often we just think of white as this uniform blankness and it rarely ever is.