Bivalve

Bivalves as a group have no head and they lack some usual molluscan organs like the radula and the odontophore. They include the clams, oysters, cockles, mussels, scallops, and numerous other families that live in saltwater, as well as a number of families that live in freshwater.

They are small and beautiful when looked through a magnifying glass. Thats about half inch long or lesser. This one was moving at its own “snails” pace.
The receding tides had left behind water on these rock pools, big and small.
6D2, 50Zeiss, 12mm Ext, Raynox 250, ISO 800, 1/13, F11. Elbow used as tripod and hand held.

Balan Vinod

Wow Balan, that is small if only a half an inch or less. I like that there is a red leaf (maybe?) under him to make him stand out. When I bring up the larger view, it looks like the snail shell isn’t quite in focus. Seeing your shutter speed at hand held, I started to blame that, but then the water and leaf seem to be more sharp and I’m not noticing any motion blur in it. So, either it is my old eyes, or, maybe the focus point was more on the leaf and water when the shutter clicked. I still commend you on finding him, and attempting this shot at hand held. The colors and the composition are really nice.

Thanks Shirley… that’s the red Rock …some of these rocks are bright red. The bivalve is half under water in that rock pool.

1 Like

Balan, both the colors and the subject matter look great here. It does look to me like there’s just a touch of softness. That’s most likely due to your handholding at 1/13 s, although it’s also possible that you’ve exceeded the resolution capabilities of your combined lens system. You can check that out by using a tipped while you shoot a b&w pattern (news print may not be sharp enough to tell, but commercial lined paper may work), starting a bit further away and moving closer and closer. Then look carefully at the overall sharpness. This would be awesome if it was a bit sharper.

1 Like

Balan, well seen and captured. I do agree with a slight softness on the shell. could it be because of water film on it? or due to hand holding? Beautiful colors and a very pleasing composition.

1 Like

Balan: A great find and a fine capture. A touch more sharpness would be nice but I love the color palette. I think I would crop this tighter to eliminate the open shell in the URC. I don’t think it adds much and it definitely pulls my eye away from the main subject. >=))>