Black-billed Magpie

A magpie lands near a carcass during a winter day in Yellowstone. A few magpies were waiting on a coyote to finish working on its meal. The coyote wasn’t happy with their presence, leaping and lunging at them. The interactions between the two species were fun to watch, but in this case I opted to isolate the bird, since on its own it is an effective graphic element that pops against a clean, snowy background.

Canon R5
Canon 600mm EF
ISO 800
1/1600th
f/8

Max

@maxwaughphoto
4 Likes

Great capture, Max. The Magpie certainly does have a “graphic” feel. Love the detail’s you’ve gotten in the bird, most especially how the black portion of the wings still have definition. Very nicely done.

2 Likes

Well seen. Impressive minimalist comp.

1 Like

Wow, what a powerful image. I can practically hear that bird and all its magical vocalizations. I like the sense of continuing motion and energy.

1 Like

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful!
Normally one tries to keep space in front of the landing but this one is ART - well executed!

1 Like

Wow! Just stunning. Sharpness, contrast, the placement of the bird in the image. Just stunning.

1 Like

Max: What everybody else has said. Wonderful comp and a powerful result. >=))>

1 Like

Max, the clarity of the bird is excellent and the placement in the frame magical.

1 Like