Owl and Magpies

I was reminded by the Weekly Challenge that it was time to start reviewing 2021 favorites. I felt fortunate to have an active enough year behind the lens (2020 certainly wasn’t!), so that I could actually pick out some faves and runners-up selections (I like to feature both in my year-end lists). This was my one bird-centric moment that made my favorites list.

I was exploring Camas National Wildlife Refuge (Idaho) at sunrise, when I spied a large gray shape flying low over a ravine. It looked owlish, so I got out to investigate. It didn’t take long to hear the alarm calls. When I spied the mob scene I quickly fired a series of shots with my 600mm, hand-held. It wasn’t until later that I could see that the magpies were extra ticked off, since the owl had one of their brethren in its talons.

(Edit: species shown are Great Horned Owl and Black-billed Magpie)

Canon R5
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1600
1/1250th
f/6.3

Max

@maxwaughphoto
4 Likes

Awesome image. I can see why it’s a favorite. Excellent positioning of all the birds. They sure listened to your choreography. :grinning:

1 Like

What an amazing capture. I especially like all the different poses of the agitated magpies.

1 Like

Very nice behavioral image. I would call this: “the King in his Castle”.

1 Like

Oh boy, what a great scene you caught. Maybe not so great for the magpie about to be lunch, but that’s how it it out there. The varied postures from the magpies speak to a lot of action, agitation and anxiety which contrasts nicely with the still, serenity of the hunter.

1 Like

Wow. What a moment. I had to look at the larger image to understand the image. such a powerful moment in nature.

1 Like

Wonderful image , and a great stare down by the Great-Horned Owl. I can hear those Magpies.

Hi Max
That is a rear photograph. Our friend the Great Horned Owl, just does not care what the Magpies think. Very cool photograph.
Peter

Wow, this is a powerful image, Max. The owl actually looks guilty but he knows he has to eat. And I wonder if the one magpie actually looking at his or her dead friend was the mate. Black-billed magpies mate for life. And also because they’re social birds when one of them dies they all gather around and have a ‘funeral’. That’s what I’ve read anyway. And I definitely think you witnessed it.

1 Like

What a cool image, Max. This is one that really tells a story with no words needed. Excellent work.

1 Like