Black-capped Chickadee on an interesting perch

For me, the perch is the most interesting part of this image. I was planting some acorns the other day and saw the tip of this sticking out of a good sized Douglas Fir stump that was logged 27 years ago. It turned out that as the stump rotted it went along the soft areas between growth rings and left the core of the tree (about 3/4 inch diameter" and the branches from that early period more or less intact. This shows just the tip. There are several branches below as well with more or less shells of old growth rings still attached. I decided it would make a cool perch and as usual, the birds didn’t hesitate to use it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 421 mm, Gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/500, iso 2500, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cloned over part of another branch and a couple of out-of-focus intrusions on the left side. Neat Image for noise reduction, Topaz Detail for feather and wood grain enhancement. I didn’t do a good job of angling the top branch to make it parallel with the focal plane so I also worked on it in LR with the local adjustment tool to try to bring out more detail. Cropped to 4391x3224 before resizing. Taken at 9:22 am on October 13th under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful photo of the Chickadee. It is a great perch and the background is perfect for the image. As you mentioned, the branch isn’t in the same focal plane and given the excellent detail in the bird and trunk, the less sharp branch is a slight distraction. A minor nit of an excellent image. Good flash work and overall processing.