Black-capped Chickadee

I like this for the perch, but I wonder if the perch overpowers the bird. The background is pretty much as you see it, but I did play around with it a bit, so let me know if I messed up somewhere.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1, +1/3 EV; ISO 4000

The BG looks great to my eye, Allen. The perch does grab my eye a bit - did you consider a square composition, cropping from the bottom? Also, a slightly more closed aperture might have been better, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! Colours and position of bird look excellent.

1 Like

Lovely background, and the details in the bird are so good I would show more bird and less perch. Great capture!

1 Like

Oh what a great shot of a chickadee just doing its thing! The perch is great, but a tad large for this little one. If it was a blue jay or something of that size I’d say leave it. A crop to eliminate the stump starting just above the two big fronds of moss might work to show it, but not so much of it. And it looks just a trifle cyan to me. Kind of yellowish overall. Maybe take the highlights in the breast down a smidge? It’s snowing now, but the birds are active in the yard so I might have to go out with the long lens. You’ve inspired me!

1 Like

What a fine portrait. Very interesting perch, and BG too. I think I would crop out a little at the bottom if it were mine. Wall hanger!

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with the perch, Allen. It just helps show how tiny these birds are. Great shot of the Chickadee.

1 Like