Black-crowned Night Heron

From my search for dragonflies a few days ago. This guy was irritated that his fishing got disturbed and retreated to a much less pleasing setting. Wish he was farther out on the branch against that nice BG – one step to my right put a branch of OOF leaves in front of him.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000; f/14, 1/1600 sec, ISO 1250. I was on a tripod and don’t know why I had the ISO so high, except that I was scrambling to get a shot before he took off, which he did a few seconds later. Shadows and highlights in LR, denoise in PS and removed some small branches.

1 Like

Hi Diane, nice pose you captured and love that orange eye. Fine details and exposure on the whites. The mossy perch adds some interest too. The background is a little busy but this is quite a pleasing shot as the bird contrasts nicely with its surroundings.

I rather like the setting. The lower branch has some nice color and texture and the other branches and leaves gives the heron some framing. Overall, I’d say it is a nice environmental shot. Of course, you have a nice pose and excellent detail.

Awesome pose in a naturally busy background, Diane. You were able to get a terrific capture. Love the one legged stand.

Very good, Diane. The background works fine for my taste. It shows the habitat nicely without being overly distracting. The sun on the bird separates it well from the surroundings.

Hi Diane
I like the background. There is just enough leaves and branching to set the scene and the head turn has a nice open space to breath in. You did a good job with the whites and gray feathers. Love the eye contact.
Peter

Exceptional environmental and behavioral image. Perfect exposure and a wonderful head turn.