Black Crowned Night Heron

![Black Crowned Night Heron]

I’m often surprised to find somewhat elusive wildlife in more densely populated areas as opposed to in the “wild”. Such was the case with this heron, who lived on a CT lake lined with houses. But, as long as the habitat is suitable, he will stay, and it appears he has caught a tasty morsel to keep him here.

Specific Feedback Requested

I could wish for a less busy background, but have to grab the shots when presented. I fiddled with the exposure a bit to bring out as much detail as possible and added a little contrast to the scene. All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Sony a6000, ISO 2500, f/11, 1/320s, E18-200mm, 300mm( 35mm equiv), handheld from kayak. Cropped to about 40%.

Hello, I am new on NPN and critiquing images for others so I hope I can be helpful.

First I think is so amazing to capture a shot of this bird eating especially when shooting handheld from a kayak! The fact that you caught the head with the “unbusy” rock behind it helps the story of the colourful fish and beautiful bird.

I don’t know enough about processing the photo so my approach would be to adjust your camera settings next time you are in your kayak, e.g. first increase the shutter speed (I would start at 1/1000s) to help sharpen the details, and open the aperture, e.g. f5.6 to f7.1, to blur the background.

I think this is a great photo to remember the enjoyment of this moment.
Regards, Robena

1 Like

Hi Robena and welcome to NPN. I liked your eagle shots. Thank you for your helpful comments. This was a quick grab shot before he flew away, but I agree about the shutter speed being higher. Not sure if opening the aperture more would have made much difference in the background since the heron was so close to it. Thanks for viewing!

1 Like