Black-crowned Night-heron

I was out on a boat a while back stalking bald eagles and this guy flew by in the early morning sunlight. How could I NOT shoot it?

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 975mm, ISO 560, AI Clear, cropped to 2808 x 2077

1 Like

Nice to get the light shining on this bird as it went by, Dave. The crop works pretty well, though I think you could take some off the top or bottom to get it out of the center of the frame. I noticed you used Topaz, so Iā€™m not sure how noisy this was originally, but I am curious if a pass through Sharpen AI (maybe with the Motion Blur setting) would make it a bit more crisp.

Also, I believe you have a Green Heron here rather than a night heron.

Max- Thanks for your helpful input. I guess its black cap thru me off. Green heron, indeed!

Gorgeous light, Dave. I do think trying the motion blur might give you some interesting results.

That is some sweet, warm morning light, Dave. I think I would also suggest a crop off the top but more to get rid of the blue band running across the top of the frame. Good look at the eyes and the top of the wing coloration. Yep, how could you not shoot this?? Impossible. Well done.