Black-crowned Night Heron

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I know this Heron shot does not have the head lit, and now eye glint but I thought it was worth keeping for the interplay of the backlit wing feathers. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, 1/500th, f 6.3, 500mm, ISO 1800, hand held, Sharpen AI, cropped to 2109 x 1401.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I don’t recall having seen a shot of a BCNH in flight on NPN. It’s a nice capture. I also like the lighting on the wings. You might try dodging the eye, which I’ve found brings out some glow. I found this tutorial helpful https://f64academy.com/cheat-dodging-burning-photoshop

I’ve never seen a BCNH in flight photo before, anywhere, so this is a treat Dave. I can see why you kept it. I like how the light is shining on the wing feathers too.

I really like this Dave, for all the reasons that you kept it. The wing feathers are the primary feature in this shot and I wouldn’t have even noticed or worried about a catch-light in the eye if you hadn’t mentioned it. Good job with the exposure and it has nice detail and color.

I like the backlit wings, Dave. I think I’d smooth out the background a bit on this one-it has than “crunchy” feel to it. While “going away” shots are frowned on, this one seems to work with the clear view of the eye.