Black Crowned Night Heron

Loved those red eyes!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I pretty much like everything about the shot except that it was a major crop on a fully extended 500mm equiv @ 750 and unfortunately, it came with a higher ISO than I would have liked. I did my best with noise control using NIK’s noise reduction in combination with Kuyper’s Lum controls.

Technical Details

D500, 200-500 @500, f/5.6, 1,250, ISO 640

Mostly ACR with a little color control in Kuyper’s and some contrast in PS

Apologies that it is not a larger image.

2 Likes

Great shot of a beautiful bird. I haven’t seen one of these. I like the crop although it might use a bit more room on the right. Not a big deal though. The portrait is wonderful. Nice work handling the noise too.

1 Like

A very nice portrait of this bird, Chris. To me it feels like it could stand a bit more room top and right even for a portrait. I love the eye and the background.

1 Like

Just beautiful, Chris. I love the portrait view of this bird and the light was well done

1 Like

Great detailed look at the heron and that red eye sure pops. I would agree with the comments that there could be more room on the top and right. To my eye the luminosity of the background competes with the heron and I could see a somewhat darker background. I could see removing the stem in the LUC, but then I do like to prune.