Black Magma

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Just interested to hear your initial reaction. Any reaction of any kind, whether emotional, conceptual, technical. Feel free!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

There’s not a lot to say about the image, other than I distinctly remember feeling that I was wasting my time on the day, was going nowhere etc… Then, this image, which has since become one of favourites. Ah the life of a photographer…

Technical Details

Very minimal processing in ACR only.

Compact camera 140mm 1/1250 f8 ISO 125

Laura, such a fascinating image! In light of recent tragic events with the Titan submersible, this photo gives me a sense of trepidation and fear. It’s like I’m about to break the surface of the ocean and head down into the dark abyss. That was my initial emotional response.

I love the contrast of darkness with the light stars. Your title also makes me think about flowing magma that has cooled off and hardened. I think your composition works well here too. Very engaging photo!

1 Like

Many thanks, @Alfredo_Mora

The image was made in quite a different spirit, but I understand your reaction in light of the tragedy that has occurred - and a general dread of the abyss, which seems to be inscribed in our genes, mine included. Really terrifying stuff. I have been following the events quite closely and if there is a consolation for the families of the victims, it is that the men in the sub didn’t realize what was happening as the water would have rushed in at some 1,800mph in 1/4 second or so - not enough time to consciously process the events. Still, it is an utterly terrifying prospect…

I’m glad you appreciate the aesthetic qualities of the image, in spite of the terrifying associations. Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Laura!

I feel I’m quite late to the party here. I’ve not been on NPN in ages and I’m catching up a bit. I’d still like to offer a few thoughts on this though.

The processing is spot on for me. The way you have weighed the density between light and dark is right up my street. It has a foreboding feel to it, along the lines of what @Alfredo_Mora mentioned. I’m tending a little more to the light/sparkle in a sea of darkness though. More of sense of hope that is conveyed by the sparkly light. I find it quite captivating.

My other initial reaction was that you had focussed on too much of the scene and maybe you need to narrow it down a bit. As I type this I am feeling differently about it - in line with what i mentioned before.

Its a stunning piece! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Eugene,

Thanks for your appreciation of this image. I’m sorry I couldn’t respond more quickly, but please know that it made my day! For me, too, this image is about light that dispels the darkness, salvatory hope… and it’s so good to know that this feeling resonates with another person out there.

I see what you mean about cropping, maybe a tiny bit could be taken off to emphasize the central point of interest but the image is only 4000x3000px (Canon G16 compact) so I’m a bit reluctant to lose pixels. Plus I’ve already framed it as such, so will have to live with it as is now. Luckily, I can just about live with that decision… a rare occurrence phew! :sweat_smile: