Black Mandibled Toucan

Another amazing tropical bird.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Iso-1600, 500 mm, F7 .1, 1000th, D 500, handheld, full frame with a little bit of added canvas

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is pretty much perfect, David. Everything is done by the book. Wonderful details on the blacks and the head turn is super sweet. I could see it with a little more room all over but that’s really nitpicking. This is wonderful as presented.

David: this is an excellent capture in every sense. It’s a wall hanger. Richard

What a great shot of a beautiful bird, David. I would be ordering a print for my living room, if I had snapped this!

Everything well done! A little crowded, but what the heck, the bird is the show. I wouldn’t change a thing. I especially appreciate how you handled the noise. The D500 can be borderline at 1600 ISO.You did a masterful job of cleanup while still preserving detail.

All the specs and the result look good, David.

btw- if this was in Costa Rica, this is now called the Yellow-throated Toucan. They’ve changed the name three times in a decade. :roll_eyes:

Max

Thanks Max. I vaguely remember a discussion on the trip about the name change, which actually makes more sense based on other naming criteria. But my guide book and iPad app still use the old name.

I just had a birder correct one of my IDs in a photo, citing a bird expert’s 2018 updates. I consulted the same notes and found that it listed my (correct) ID. Pretty sure nobody can keep track any more!

Max

Excellent details and color. Love the perch too. Very well done.

excellent image of a gorgeous bird.
Not the tiniest nit from me.
S