Black-necked Stilt

Went down to a marsh on Sunday for early light figuring I’d have it to myself. Not so, I was one of 20 tripods set up for the morning sun. But there were plenty of birds to go around and I liked my out of the way socially distant and shady spot.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments are welcome. I darkened the water in the first (too much?) and cleaned some water spec and dust from the pond. Originally had this image in vertical format to compliment the legs, but eventually thought the more circular ripples played better. In the second I was sorry I didn’t shoot with more room for the reflection, but still liked the clarity in the shot. and the smoothness of the pond

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Both images with D7100 and a Nikkor 200-500 lens. Both at f8, 1/3200, 800 ISO first image at 310mm the second at 500mm

Nice images – Stilts have a certain innocent elegance about them. I like the reflection int he first one but prefer the blue water in the second.

In the first one the ripple didn’t look level so I brought it into PS and pulled out a vertical guide and lined up the eye with its reflection. 2 degrees CCW fixed the leveling.

And now that you say it, I see it that it is clearly off from plumb. Thanks for pointing it out, Diane.

One of the most elegant of shorebirds, Stephen and you did them justice. Both of the images are very nice and I’d love ot have taken either one.

Nice job on both images. I agree with Diane’s evaluation. I hope to find a Stilt during the spring migration.