Black Oystercatcher

Taken in Oregon Coast surf this summer.
D500, 500pf, f5.6, 1/3200, iso560

a beautiful shot, Dan. I’ve hardly ever seen these in the air and catching it banking toward you is just outstanding. Your usual excellent image quality. The only thing you might want to look at is toning down the out of focus background surf on the left side. It’s a bit brighter over there and tends to pull my eye that way.

Nice job. Bird is nice and sharp and well placed in the frame. With the outstretched wings the bird seems much larger than when normally seen. Nice.

You seem to becoming our resident BIF expert. Another nice flight image with good detail and nice wing position.

Another nice look at a bird in flight. As Dennis said, it is difficult to find these flying. I usually find them in the rocks.

A very cool shot. I’ve never seen a black oystercatcher , and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo of one in flight. I don’t believe we even have those here in the East.

It’s a great dorsal view, and I like the crashing waves in the background. I also like the placement of the bird, though I can see just a little bit of noise, which I’d assume comes from at least a moderate crop? If so, I wouldn’t mind a looser frame all around to improve IQ. I bet you could also add just a bit of depth to your blacks with a luminosty mask. Good to see you’re back.