Blackish Oystercatcher

This is a shot that I recently was working on realized I hadn’t posted before, it’s almost full frame with just a small crop from the right. It was taken on the Lima, Peru waterfront. This species is quite similar to our Black Oystercatcher but it has a brown back rather than being all black.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D2 300F4 1.4x 1/80 F6.3, iso 800, a slow shutter speed due to fading light.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The bright angled bill and eye mahe for a vey nice composition, Nate. The crop on the right looks good to keep nice portrait proportions

Hi Nate,

Darks have good details and the red bill with mussel ius a nice feature to have in this image. The eye is very nice too…Jim

Very cool Nate. I’ve never seen this species before - does look similar to ours. Those colors are great. and the detail in the eye is captivating. Nice work - I like the comp for a bird that is really close.

Superb sharpness for 1/80… Steady hand. The exposure on the bird is perfect. a lot of detail in the dark feathers and the comp looks good.
Did you fix the eye? I have never seen as nice on the local NW Oystercatchers, they are usually kind of funky,
Yours is terrific.

Thanks Dan, I don’t remember doing anything to the eye, but I couldn’t locate the raw file so I’m not sure.

Beautiful shot, Nate. Wonderful detail in the bird and his catch, and a nice soft background.

Pretty neat to get such a close view of this guy, Nate. I have only seen the American variety around my area. Interesting to think that barnacles are growing on his catch, looks like a young mussel.

Nice, esp the way the black of the shell echoes the black feathers.