Eurasian Oystercatcher

I took this image a few weeks ago under poor lighting conditions on Iceland’s Grimsey Island. I had to boost the ISO to 2500 as I was limited to f/8 with a 1.4 teleconverter. But I loved the image of this Oystercatcher on a kelp-covered beach. I used Topaz’s AI Clear to minimize the noise.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Sonly a9, Sony 100-400mm with 1.4 teleconverter at 560mm, 1/1250th at f/8, ISO 2500.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this a lot too, Charles. Great details and color. Do you have anymore room to the right? It seems like he hasn’t much room to walk, to me anyway. You might even want to calm down the brightness of the kelp, as it seems a bit too distracting. Some of the other photographers that are more experienced might be able to give better advice. I do like his one foot in the air indicating his walking, and that beak open is a bonus.

1 Like

A very nice image of this bird, Charles and even with the similarity in color between some of the kelp and the bill, it stands out nicely.

1 Like

Hello, Charles, you have positioned the bird wonderfully amidst the kelp ! No nits from me, just sheer joy ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Hi Charles,
I agree with Shirley’s critique and suggestions. Very nice capture with the open beak, fine details, and the walking pose. You might want to run some noise reduction on the background and foreground as well.

1 Like