Oystercatcher

Recently I paid a visit to our local beach and noticed several Oystercatchers. Since it was overcast weather, it was ideal for experimenting a bit with overexposure to create a graphic atmosphere. I post processing I overexposed some more. Thanks for any feedback, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/1250s | f5 | ISO500 | overexposed 1 2/3FS | handheld while lying flat on the the beach

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hans, I like the overexposure on this. It makes the background work as a high key image. I really like that you have 3 of them, and that they are facing inward. How did you talk them into posing like that? Just kidding.

The high key works oh so well here, Hans. I have to say that if the food item did not have that rim lighting it would be somewhat a deal-breaker for me but with this kind of light, just gorgeous! A suggestion would be to desaturate just a little the beaks of the two background birds.

Very interesting progression of depth of field in this image. Superb point of view. High key exposure works well as everyone else’s noted. I might want to see it with a slightly looser crop but I think it works well as is.

Hans: I really like the high key treatment as it really makes the birds stand out. This is a nicely executed idea. Richard

This is very cool, Hans. The positions of the three birds really do make a neat graphic design and taking the background to almost white emphasizes it very well. Excellent concept and very well executed.

This works well as an abstract image, Hans. I like you got them facing in alternately opposite directions. The high key works approach suits this image. I would have liked to see a little more separation between the heads. But this is an interesting experiment you pulled off well.

Love it. So close to perfection. I just wish the left two birds overlapped a little better to make their shapes more distinct from one another. The high key look is marvelous.

Max