Black Swallowtail Butterfly on Apple Leaf

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques to help others. Canon 5D Mark III, on 5/8/19, ISO 100 , f5.6, 1/250sec.

4 Likes

Hi,

This is a nice photo of a red spotted purple butterfly. My only nit is to have slightly more room on the left. Background is bright, colorful, and soft. The subject next is nice and sharp and exposure is spot on. Well done…Jim

John Wayne: Terrific capture. I miss these guys. For years we had lots of them in our garden but despite lots of host plants they have pretty much disappeared for the past five or six years :thinking:. My only suggestion would be to paint in some color over the gray area behind the antennae but this still works well for me as is. Nicely done. >=))>
PS: I think Jim is correct on his ID.

John, I am sorry I am coming in late on this one. Not sure how I missed it as I really do watch for macro images for sure. Anyway, I would like to say that you did capture a nice shot of this beautiful butterfly. I am not familiar with the Red Spotted Purple Butterfly. Not sure if he used to be here and now isn’t, as Bill mentioned for his area. I agree with both Jim’s and Bill’s recommendations to improve this image even more.

Great Capture John. The color contrast is great. I was not sure what lens you had the DOF is very good.

Thanks Dean, I did allow more room on the left in the repost. Couldn’t stretch that leaf any more. I use canon 180mm macro lens for most of these shots.

John, a very fine look at this Red-spotted Purple. We have them here in Maryland, being seen regularly in the late summer and fall. They are one of the few butterflies that overwinter as adults, so they can also be seen on warm sunny days in early spring. Having the bf more to the right in the frame would be an improvement. You can get a bit of that by squeezing in your square crop from the lower right corner.

Thanks Mark, Squeezed in from the right as you suggested, looks better.
Wayne

Late to this critique but I also enjoyed this photo with the sharp butterfly and soft bg. The more I looked at it the more I wanted to match the brighter upper grey with the grey behind the bf’s head.