Black Swallowtail Caterpillar

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This caterpillar was taken with a Canon 180 lens at f8, 1/400sec. Used this lens without tripod

Dandy shot. I really like the positioning you have gotten with the caterpillar full side on. The bit of habitat works well keeping the caterpillar busy.
I might prefer a bit more room but that is my preference and not a nit.
A bit of noise is showing up and could be easily removed with software.

I am curious what that little red thing is?

Good for you and hand held as well.

Dave

Hi John,
nice pose of the caterpillar - looks like feeding behavior but with the turned down face and the orange filaments displayed this may be a defensive pose. In any event, nice to get the subject mostly parallel to the camera.

I’m seeing quite a bit of noise in the image. I’m wondering if a very high ISO was used or if this was a sizable crop.

Given the shadows on the subject, I think you might try fill flash in such a situation to more fully illuminate the caterpillar.

Nicely composed with room in front (a little more on top may also work)…TFS

Hi David, the red blob you spoke about occurs when you touch the worm and it blows out quite a bit more. While holding the camera and poking the worm on time was a little difficult. Will use a tripod next time.
Wayne

Yes, the red “blob” is part of the Black Swallowtail caterpillar’s defense mechanisms. The orange blob is called the osmeteria and it’s used to smear an attacker with a nasty, repellent chemicals. It’s presence shows that the caterpillar has been disturbed. The details and sharpness look great, however the noise level is very high.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate your comment on the noise level. I experience this problem in most of my work and have been trying to figure a workaround. Someone mentioned too high an ISO. Downloading “Triangle Chart” for review. Hope it has a solution.
Thanks