Black-throated mango female

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

“Beautiful female hummingbird!” :blush:

Technical Details

SONY A7IV
287 mm
ISO 6400
f 8
1/2000

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum, Ronald. This is indeed a beautiful hummingbird and you caught a wonderful pose as it backed away from the flower. I like the spread tail and the wing position is very nice. I’m not sure how it happened, but looking at the larger image, it looks as if your autofocus locked onto the pollen on the beak rather than the eye of the bird so the bird’s body is looking just slightly soft. It’s close enough that you can probably fix it with some sharpening of just the body (it’s best not to include the motion blurred wings as sharpening them can look really weird). I find this plant that they seem to like for hummingbird gardens in Central America to be a bit of a pain photographically as there are all those out of focus bloom stems that like to clutter up the background and foreground. Sometimes you can eliminate them, but there are a couple here that would be really difficult to remove, so leaving them was probably your best option.

Again, welcome to the group and I look forward to seeing a lot of your work and reading your comments on other people’s efforts.

Welcome to NPN Ronald. This is a beautiful bird, It has such an interesting color pattern. I also like the little bit of pink from the flowers. Nice first post here.

Nice catch of something different for me. I do agree the plane of focus is not on the bird.