Calliope Hummingbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A small group from our camera club went on a field trip to the Grand Ronde Valley in Eastern Oregon this past weekend. Our primary destination was a small preserve at the north end of the valley. They had hummingbird feeders up and they get this species, which we don’t get in western Washington, so I couldn’t resist trying for a shot. This feeder was in pretty deep shade so iso was fairly high and the shutter speed was still relatively low for a hummingbird, particularly for one this small.

Specific Feedback

I would have preferred a more varied background, but it was the distant hills, probably half a mile away or more. I did paint over the feeder on the left. Does the plain background detract too much? The far wing also bothers me a bit as it has literally no detail between blur, focus and backlight.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 832 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/640, iso 5000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5754x3997. Taken at 11:24 am.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Dennis,
You have already critiqued this nittier than I would :grinning:. You have good detail where it matters most - from the head down to the feet. The wings just show a nice amount of motion as can be expected. The BG works for me too. Nice color on the throat of this beauty.

Dennis, I’ve not done any wildlife or avian in many years now, so, my input is from being a big fan of hummingbirds… :sunglasses:
I agree with @Allen_Sparks about the detail being where it matters. With that said I really find this a wonderful image… :+1: :+1:

I agree with the comments of @Allen_Sparks and @Paul_Breitkreuz . The background.: When I initially viewed the image I thought of a studio backdrop. After reading your comments, I am very impressed that you could obtain a flawless background in the “wild”. In our younger years we visited the Grand Ronde Valley to float the river. We also floated the Owyhee. Loved both locations.

1 Like

This is just too engaging and crisp to be anything but good. Don’t sweat those beating wings that you can’t capture no matter what shutter speed you try. They are swift little dudes. The bg is soft and non-distracting at least. I really like the feathers around the chin and throat - they look larger than on other hummies I’ve seen so it has that going for it, too. I like the translucence in the wings as well. Such delicacy in that strength.