Black Turnstone

I liked the resting pose and the open eye. There was a large flock of turnstones, but this one stood out for me.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The background is below the turnstone and the surf (high tide) was coming in. The white from the ocean seems a bit distracting, but not sure what to do about it.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/400 at f7.1, -1/3 EV; ISO 400

1 Like

The bird is visually stunning and helps keep my eye off the slight background distractions. It’s true it would be an even stronger photo without that bg, but it’s still very pleasing. Love that pose and the open eye. Beautiful bird well captured with great detail and color.

2 Likes

I really like this Allen. Great pose, The bird has the shape of the golden spiral I think. I allso, love colour and textures of both the bird and the “stuff” on the rock. I don’t mind the ocean froth as it is part of the story that the tide is right there.

1 Like

Hi Allen
I have never heard of a Black Turnstone. Thank you for showing us the very lovely bird. The open eye is very time in this photograph. The white feathers are a little blown out, but the overall brown feather detail is good. As for the white waves, maybe Photo shop? ( map the waves and fill with some of the brown sand coloring). I well shot photograph.
Peter

1 Like