Black (& White) Skimmer

This was taken about three years ago, on what at the time I thought was a boring, overcast day. It is special for me, because it is one of my first bird images that really inspired me, both in what could be done with a DSLR, and also what could be done with post processing.

This image breaks a couple composition rules. First, I didn’t leave any space for the Skimmer to fly through the scene. But to include the water trail and also leave room for it to fly through the frame would have taken away some of the impact that this closer-in framing gives. Second, I heard once that our eyes (at least the eyes of Westerners) move from left to right, so the bird should be coming in from the right side of the frame, moving right to left, so that our eyes get “stopped” by the bird’s eyes that are looking to the left.
But I love this image anyway!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any.
Some clarity and resolution gets lost when you enlarge this. This might be a candidate for Topaz Gigapixel (?) to add some pixels, so I could print this big?

Technical Details

D500 with 200-500mm lens.
290mm, f/6.3, 1/1000 second, ISO 640

All edits done in Lightroom. A lot of spot removal in the water. I took artistic license and went for a “clean” look in the water, to match the clean sky. Monochrome Red Filter applied, and some additional contrast and dehaze. Some sharpening of the Skimmer too.

3 Likes

Rules be damned. This is a fine image.

3 Likes

Rules and art don’t mix in my opinion. Not that anyone cares about my opinion! I love this as much as all of your bird images, Mark! You really have a way with making them so artistic looking. Beautifully captured and processed!

1 Like

A striking and arresting image. No rules.

1 Like

The small version caught my eye quickly. Very artistic presentation and like this one as presented…Jim

1 Like

Mark, the overall brightness, the subtle black & whites and the long drag trail make a stunning view. Personally, I don’t “buy” the left to right eye movement argument. It’s based on how we read text. In viewing images, it’s things like color, shape, brightness, etc. and the specific elements that catch a viewer’s eyes, although I don’t think this would be as striking if you flipped it horizontally.

1 Like

Just an amazing image! Love it. Just keep it as is.

1 Like

Mark, I REALLY like this. The image has an abstract quality that is emphasized by the central wake from the bird and the B&W processing. Super!

1 Like

Breaking the rules can often…rule! This looks terrific, Mark. Well seen and excellent processing.

2 Likes

Wonderful high key image with superb composition. The symmetry and the placement above the halfway point in the composition frame make this work really well.

1 Like

Thank you @JohnSnell , @Vanessa_Hill , @Ronald_Murphy , @Mark_Seaver , @Jim_Zablotny , @Ola_Jovall , @LarryR , @David_Bostock , and @David_Schoen, for all your kind words! I’m glad you liked this! It was this image that really drove home for me the idea that “rules” are made to be broken!

1 Like

There are no rules! You did a superb job. This is truly fine art.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chris_Baird !

Beautiful shot and processing Mark! The photo drew me right in and the not-quite-symmetrical reflection was a treat to explore.

1 Like

I am drawn to this image again. The bird is very dynamic, but the strong horizontal line of the image coupled with the simplicity gives it a feeling of repose. The straight line of the wake and the elegant curve of the wing are such a juxtaposition. I think it reads perfectly well from left to right.

2 Likes

Thank you @mrbphoto for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it. And thanks @Chris_Baird for taking another look and sharing again!

What a stunning shot! Rules or no rules, the balance in this image works beautifully! Nice job, Mark.

1 Like

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this!!! The large version has the look of a sumi-e ink brush drawing! The composition is perfect, with the splash establishing the line of eye movement. I might think about adding a little more canvas on both ends to make the environment feel a bit wider or more free, but not a big deal, just an added artistic touch . This deserves to be framed!

Rules are for people who don’t know how to drive.

Thanks @J_Fritz_Rumpf and @Diane_Miller for your kind words!!! And thanks @Mark_Seaver for the EP

Brilliant! I love how the angled reflection enhances the image of the bird’s wings and tail while keeping the overall feeling of symmetry. Really classy shot!

1 Like