Blackeyed Susan

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There’s a local park where they’ve put a lot of effort into restoring the native grasses and plants. It has an amazing collection on grassland wildflowers blooming this time of the year. This Blackeyed Susan caught my eye because of the red fringe in the inner petals, the “crown” of stamen and the near perfect petals. If you look close, you can find a young katydid.

Specific Feedback

I like how the photo captures the “sunny meadow” feeling.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/500 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod. A 30 shot stack for DOF.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

What a little beauty. Lots of crispy detail and joyful color. The yellow/orange in these guy is my nemesis - so easy to clip and overload, but you seem to have found that bleeding edge here. Vivid for sure. I like the tiny bit of shadow, too, gives it additional modeling. Stack looks amazing. You must be in a windless area or appeased the breeze gods somehow - 30 shots. Impressive.

1 Like

Love this Mark! I always think of nectarines or peaches when I see these! I don’t think I’ve heard of that 180mm macro lens! What’s the closest focusing distance with that lens? Have you played with adding texture to the petals? It seems like it might benefit from a slight reduction in highlights and bringing a tiny bit of texture back in. The detail on the center of the flower is amazing! I’m always amazed at the tiny insects I find in my macro flower shots.

2 Likes

Paul, the minimum working distance (lens front to subject) is 9.5" at 1:1 magnification. Canon quit making or selling this lens a couple of years ago, so you can only find used versions. It also seems like Canon is in no hurry to replace this for its mirrorless users, yet the extra working distance is critical if you’re shooting things that can run or fly away.

1 Like

Gorgeous flower, captured perfectly!
Vivid but true colours, nice perspective, and BG.
Maybe just a bit centered? but purely a personal choice.
Very well-done!

Excellent, Mark. I particularly like how three dimensional the flower center looks in the is image.

Mark, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Blackeyed Susan that clean before. Truly a wonderful image… :+1:

I agree with everything already said Mark. Sorry I’m late to the party here, but its a really nice one.