Blackpoll Warbler

This is a favorite because damn - look at that little cutie! I’ve shared it before, but it also made my Best of 2022 list and it makes me happy just looking at it. Not only did I get to see him and his mate, both migratory birds that only pass through Wisconsin, but I was set up well to photograph them where they were feeding just a few feet from my deck railing. It was mid-May so no big leaves to get in the way and I remembered (mostly) to shoot like a photographer and not a birder. So I came away with 8 truly excellent images while they were so close and cooperative.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all.

Technical Details

Handheld with elbows braced on the deck railing

Lr for initial work to bring up contrast and light the bird effectively. Ps to remove some distractions in the background.

1 Like

I can see why this is a favorite, Kris. What a wonderful image and as you say, what a cutie. Awesome.

Excellent pose with superb diagonal elements. This is not a bird that makes it out to my neighborhood. Does have a little bit of a chickadee feel.

Wonderful!! I love the simple but elegant setting and the great detail in the Warbler!

Outstanding image, Kris. Excellent on so many levels. The composition with the parallel diagonal lines, gorgeous lighting and willing subject. Doesn’t get any better. Can certainly see why this guy made your 2022 Fav List.

Thanks @David_Bostock, @David_Schoen, @Diane_Miller & @linda_mellor - this might just be the best thing I shot all year, and who knows, they might be back in spring again!

Kris, it’s an excellent look at this little bird in an interesting (and not that common) pose.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - it was a first for me, too. First time seeing these little ones (chickadee size) and (obviously) first time photographing one. I’m so glad the deck is one flight up!

An excellent capture of a very pretty little bird, Kristen! Nice & sharp and the exposure was right on. I really like the soft pastel colors in the background. It sets off the bird nicely and makes for a real 3D appearance. Nicely shot and I can see why it’s a favorite!

Thanks @Gary_Minish - I hadn’t noticed the 3D quality, but not you mention it, there is hint there. I hope I can catch some again this spring.