Feast before the flight

Another look at this handsome blackpoll warbler on the same little sapling as the other shot. This time you can see the yellow in the primaries and all the other markings. They really are striking, stripy little birds. Unfortunately, while still considered common, their numbers are plummeting through one thing and another - mostly humans. According to allaboutbirds.org, they are still numerous, but have lost an estimated 88% of its population in the last 40 years.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything to improve is welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld with elbows on deck railing

Lightroom for a bit of a crop and smoothing of the tonal values. Isolated the bird with the select subject mask and brought up exposure, texture and clarity. Inverted the mask to reduce noise in the background. Added a radial filter to bring up exposure in the eye. Reduced blue channel because it was showing up in the white too much…probably a reflection of the sky. Lens correction, sharpening & NR. Topaz Sharpen to enhance detail and it did a great job. Ps to remove a distraction and pull up the mid-tones in the bird with Select Subject again.

1 Like

Stay on that deck!! You made the best of a very nice opportunity, with great detail and tonalities. Wonder if you can induce him to hang out there. Not sure what his preferred diet is (bugs are obviously on the menu) but some people smear stuff called tree butter on trunks to attract some kinds of birds. I have a jar and have yet to try it.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I don’t know if they’ll stay. Since they’re such a northern species for breeding, most likely their habitat is shrinking rather than expanding. :cry:

Wow, what a beeline pose. Ready to pounce. I love it.

Hi Kristen, a terrific pose you caught of a difficult subject. Nice details too. I also like the placement of the bird in the frame with room for him to maneuver downward. Well done.

Thanks @David_Bostock and @Allen_Sparks - it was a terrific session with some cooperative birds and great light. These will probably end up in my Best of 2022 collection.

What a luxury, to be able to make such nice images from your deck! Love the intent pose. Techs all fine as well, Nice work! Hans

Very good pose, Kris and you took excellent advantage of it. Well done.

Thanks @Hans_Overduin & @Dennis_Plank - the universe was smiling on me the day these two showed up. Good light, small leaves on the trees, tolerant birds and a tall deck.