Black and White Warbler

This bird was posted on a local e bird-alert and is considered uncommon winter visitor to So. California. I knew where the park was and thought I would see if I could “chase” it down before the rain came. Found it while still in my car as it just started to sprinkle.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feed back or comments are appreciated. Not sure of the image quality, think I might be just off on the focus a bit. Thanks for looking.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 200-500mm at 480mm, f5.6, 1/400s, ISO 2000.
Used a fence post to help with the hand held part. Lr for processing.

Very nice looking bird. Good for you for finding it! I think the image quality is fine.

The composition with the bird dead center doesn’t work for me though. This feels like a vertical to me so I took a look in PS. I cropped it differently, then added some canvas on the bottom to make it feel more dynamic with the potential of movement. See what you think.

Hi Stephen. The focus looks fine to me. If anything, I think you might have oversharpened a bit-the bark has that look to my eye. I was contemplating a crop similar to Keith’s, so that’s two votes in that direction. Nice catch and well photographed.

Hi Stephen, well seen and taken of a beautiful bird. I’ll echo the previous suggestions - I like Keith’s cropping suggestion and Dennis’ point of backing off the sharpening just a tad.
Still, this is a fine catch of a real beauty.

I am enjoying learning with the new wildlife and bird 200-500 lens.

Thank you for the comments and input @Keith_Bauer and yes, I like your comp. It looks and feels much better than my square 1x1 version. @Dennis_Plank Yes again, on the over sharpened bark, too much a a global adjustment I was bit bothered by it. @Allen_Sparks again thanks for your input.

Lots of good comments already given Well done on getting the focus where you wanted it. Nice one.