Black & White Warbler

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out on the grounds before breakfast on our last day at the Natural Lodge in the Cano Negro area and spotted this warbler. Light was still very low, but I managed this one halfway decent image out of the five or six frames it gave me.

Specific Feedback

Very shallow depth of field resulted in the tree trunk it was on being only marginally in focus at best. Does that make the background too ugly? Also, I came close to clipping the tail on the top, so I added a bit of canvas up there-does it show? Is the face downward pose too weird?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, f/9, 1/500, iso 25,600, manual exposure. Preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4, further processing in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3876x5220 from a horizontal original. Taken at 6:19 a.m. on February 24th.

1 Like

This is so typical of this species Dennis. If you added more canvas on top, Iā€™m having a hard time seeing it. This almost looks like you were standing right over it to get the shot. The tree trunk is fine too. It shows the habitat well and fades OOF softly.

Added canvass area looks fine. Tree trunk no problem. Love the perspective, which works well because of the bird looking up.

Very cool with the unique pose! The top looks perfectly natural and the shallow DOF makes the bird stand out nicely against the soft BG. My only suggestion is to go in and do some microsurgery to make the right eye stand out a bit.

An unusual and interesting pose. Great detail. I like the setting, but would have guessed rock rather than tree.

Hi Dennis, a unique perspective. Love seeing the topside view. A fine image.