Blackwater River Canyon

Blackwater Falls State Park, WV.
I don’t really like the bush encroaching in the LRC, but I’m not tall enough to shoot over it and one step to the left would leave flying into the valley below.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Michael , I love this image for all those colors as the main thing. Therefore are bush in the LRC not important or distracting to me.

Ansel Adams would have backed his van up to the overlook, and shot from the van’s roof :grin:

I’m not sure why you and your brother keep coming up to NH and ME for autumn, these West Virginia locations look pretty darn good to me, and they are a lot closer to home :grin:

But seriously, I love this image. Having shot a lot of autumn images over the years, I know it’s not always easy to integrate grand landscapes like this with autumn color. This image has a nice sense of depth, and trees framing the valley view help create that sense of depth. I think your processing got really good color separation between yellow and green, and also orange and red. You have nice distinct colors here. Good job Mike.

Mike,
I had to laugh when I read @Ed_McGuirk’s comment about Ansel Adams backing up the van. This scene has a wonderful sense of depth to it with the FG autumn colors giving way to the Blackwater River as it snakes it way through the canyon and the receding ridgelines. It would be nice if the bush was not in the LRC, but it certainly is not a deal breaker as everything else is so wonderfully done.

Just for comparison here is a rework with a little crop from the bottom and right along with some cloning to get rid of what was left of the bush.

This is a fine image, Michael, but I’m afraid your brother came away with the better image this time. Though I don’t sense any sibling rivalry between you guys. :laughing:

It’s no joke

Great mix of autumn color. I agree with your take on the LRC. I would do the digital Ansel truck maneuver and use the magic wand and content aware fill and have it magically disappear.

1 Like