Blue and gold macaw(s)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from my Guyana trip. Guyana has three subspecies of large macaws - the scarlet, red & green, and blue & gold. I was hoping to see and photograph at least some of them on my trip, but was never able to get close-up shots for most of the trip. Then, on the last day while I was waiting on an airstrip for my return plane ride, I noticed a palm tree nearby where blue & gold macaws were gathering in twos and threes. I captured several images of these birds as they were feeding, but had to leave a little too soon to catch my flight. Still I was very thankful for the opportunity.

Specific Feedback

It was fascinating to see how the macaws would position themselves to get to the nuts and peel the outer layers using their claws and beaks. I liked this particular capture for a view of the macaw’s tongue. While it may not be visible in this image, it was around noon when I took these images, so I am curious if the lighting looks too harsh.

Technical Details

840mm on tripod, ISO1250, 1/320s@F8.

Beautiful. Love the color and detail. Guess this is a good lesson for us to always have your camera at the ready.

1 Like

A lovely bird, and shot; also, I enjoyed your story of how you found them. I’d like to see some lightening of the black BG area under its head, just to achieve separation there. And maybe a little selective darkening of 5% or so of the left edge area where the sun was brighter. Very interesting behavior and a stunning bird!

1 Like

Lighting doesn’t look bad at all, Govind. I particularly like the treatment of the light on the Macaws which pop nicely from what looks like a slightly desaturated background. I really like the cluster of nuts they’re feeding on and think it adds a lot to the image. That part looks a bit faded as well and you might want to brush it with a bit of dehaze or something equivalent to make it pop a bit more. I don’t think it will compete too badly with those brightly colored birds.

1 Like

Hi Govind, I like this shot showing feeding behavior in habitat. Lighting looks good to me - filtered or subtle where it matters. A brilliant subject. Well done.

1 Like

What a beautiful bird and good of you to take notice on the air strip. Wow. Always prepared!! I would maybe run a filter over the left half of the image and use a little dehaze on that filter as the light is rather harsh on the left side of the image but otherwise I’d say you had pretty good light here. The image is tack sharp and you get a great look at what they are eating and the tongue of the macaw.

1 Like

Hi S Govindarajan
The top Macaw looks great, the feather detail and coloring is spot on.
Peter

1 Like