Blue Grosbeak

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this Blue Grosbeak at a nearby NWR yesterday morning.

Specific Feedback

I framed it as a bit of a habitat shot leaving in the top of the vegetation above the bird. Any thoughts on the cropping? I was afraid cropping in much further would affect the details on the bird.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f5.6, 1/2000s, hand held

Process in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Another of my favorite neotropical migrants… Very similar to the Indigo Bunting, but with cinnamon wing bars, and slightly larger. In fact, the Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife Conservation ran a short video presentation on the similarity of the two birds yesterday. Been a while since I’ve seen one here.

But, on to the critiquing…Ah, yes, cropping. So subjective. I would probably take some off the top, but I understand why you didn’t. It appears you have good IQ that would stand up to a closer crop. But I do like the Grosbeak small in frame. If you have more room on the bottom, maybe crop the bird higher in the frame? In any case, nice catch of this beautiful bird.

I like the crop as posted in this case, Allen. It looks to my eye as if the bird would start to show lack of definition in the plumage if you cropped much tighter. This is another one we don’t get out here, though oddly, I photographed one in Albuquerque when I was there for my brother’s funeral a couple of weeks ago. However, mine was almost straight up against a white cloud-a horrible image.

Hi Allen
This is another one of those photography 201 class. Yes the framing works and the Blue Grosbeak is nicely framed.
Peter

It works for me Allen, glad to have such a sharp version of the bird. Keeping the twinning vine complete and the leaves in good focus work nicely as is. But still a lot of negative space on the LS.

The natural bracketing works really well here; especially with your crop. I’ve never seen one of these and love the rich, darker blue color they have. That splash of rust on the wing is really interesting, too. You might have a go at lightening the eye just a touch, but that’s just a little thing. The light and processing work to give us just a touch of texture without being overwhelming.