Blue jay pair/R6 test

First test shots with the Canon R6 with RF 800mm F-11. Sharpness and colors.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Composition

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Canon R6, RF 800mm IS STM, 1/640 @ F-11, ISO 5000, used auto ISO

CI6A0190V1A-denoise-denoise

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Did remove a section of the feeder the jays were using. Taken from a blind, HH.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi John:

I am not able to click the image and look at a larger version. Based on the smaller version, sharpness is OK, but nothing special. Certainly harmed by allowing the camera to go to ISO 5000. That will be a constant fight using a lens that is fixed at f/11.

1 Like

Thanks Keith, I think I need to shift off of auto ISO, as the background for the birds can be very dark at times. Lots to get use to with this mirrorless gear.

I like the comp. with both birds. The back one is even in reasonably good focus. And I like the dark BG. Exposure looks like it was pretty good. I would like to be able to see the frame larger.

Thank you for your comments. I am not sure how to make the frame larger when posting on NPN. I will see what I can do to be able to do it.

John

John: What were the pixel dimensions of the image you uploaded. That might have something to do with not being able to see a larger version.

Right. I always resize my landscape-orientation images to 1600 or 1700 pixels on the long end.

Keith, the pixel size is 664x456, for the 2 jays photo. I think I need to review my processing steps. I am beginning to think I have missed something or changed something. Would you have any recommendations for reviewing my processing steps?

Thanks for your comments.

John

John: Here is a link to an article I wrote a few years ago. The information should still be accurate and relevant for preparing images to share on a Web platform. Choose the size you want. I recommend at least 1500 pixels on the long edge. This is a dropbox link. You do NOT need a dropbox account to open this public link.

Nice poses to get both birds looking at you. Focus looks on, exposure looks on, sharpness seems to be there. I agree a look at a larger image would help with seeing the finer detail and the noise. It would be nice to see how these Canon cameras and lens do .

Thank you Keith. I have started to use your guide on sizing with 1500 pixels instead of inches. Makes a difference. I think for the best results I need to go to the full Photoshop instead PSE as well as starting with RAW instead of jpeg. And, of course, getting closer to my subjects. John